After an extensive feasibility study of Tororo Carbonate Limestone was carried out by Building Research Centers in U.K, Russia and Japan, it was decided that a cement factory be built in Tororo area to utilize the carbonate limestone as raw materials. The study outlined the steps to be taken to process the raw materials so that normal Portland cement could be produced. In December 1952, Uganda Cement Industry (UCI) LTD. was incorporated. It was later taken over by the Uganda Development Corporation (UDC) in 1953.The ownership of Tororo Cement changed hands at the end of 1995 to the present owners under the Government Privatization Scheme.
Tororo Cement Factory is located in the Eastern part of Uganda about 230Km from the Capital Kampala. It is 10Km before the Uganda/Kenya border town of Malaba. Access from Kampala is by an all-weather tarmac road.
The factory is well served with infrastructure such as Road & Rail. The railway siding from Tororo main station services the factory’s main areas of production of Cement, Iron sheets, Wire products, and Raw materials.